AUSTIN BAKED BEANS
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 6 ounces slab bacon, rind removed, cut into ½ inch dice
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1 can (28 ounce) plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with their juices
- ½ pound honey-baked ham, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1 smoked pork chop (about ½ pound), cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Salt to taste
- Pick over the beans, discarding any stones. Soak them overnight in cold water.
- Drain the beans, rinse in several changes of cold water, and drain again.
- Place the beans in a large heavy pot and add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce
the heat to medium, and simmer until the beans are just tender but not mushy, 45 minutes. While
they are cooking, skim off any foam that rises to the top. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees F.
- Place the bacon in a heavy ovenproof pot. Cook over low heat until the fat is just rendered (do
not brown the bacon), 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set it aside. Add
the onion to the pot and cook over low heat until wilted, about10 minutes. Add both bell peppers
and cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes. Add the beans, reserved bacon, and the tomatoes (reserve
the juices). Then add the remaining ingredients except the reserved tomato juices, apples, and
salt, and fold together gently. Cover, transfer to the oven, and bake for 2 hours.
- Add the apples and ½ cup of the reserved tomato juices, and bake, uncovered, until thick
and fragrant, 2 hours. Season with salt, and serve hot and bubbly.
<< Back to recipe index