(marinade 2 days in advance,
start cooking 4 hours in advance)
2-3 pound boneless chuck roast or sirloin tip
- 1 bottle or 4 cups of Almaden Mountain Red wine
- 1/2 cup wine vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves or allspice berries
- 6 peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- Mix marinade ingredients in large heavy casserole and add meat. Refrigerate for 48 hours.
- Remove roast from marinade and set aside. Strain marinade.
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cups bouillon heated in small saucepan
Use a heavy cast aluminum or cast iron sauce or fry pan. Add olive oil and blend in the flour and stir continuously for 5 minutes or so until it is dark nutty brown. Remove from heat and when it has stopped bubbling blend in hot stock all at once with whip. When smooth ladle in some of the marinade and then return all liquid to the casserole.
Cooking the Beef
- small onions - frozen ones are fine
- carrots - small ones are sweeter
- potatoes - the amounts depend on you
Put roast and vegetables in casserole with sauce* and bring to simmer on top of stove. Put in 350° oven about 3 1/2 hours depending on amount of meat.
*can be prepared ahead of time until this point and refrigerated.
<< Back to recipe index