SPICED CHICKPEA AND TOMATO SOUP
Makes about 6 cups (4 servings)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 dried hot red chilies, chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes (I use
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 cup drained jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken broth
- sour cream for garnish (optional, I skip it)
Using a mortar and pestle or the back of a spoon, crush garlic, chiles, coriander, salt, and caraway
to forma a paste.
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic mixture, and cook until just softened,
about 3 minutes.
Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and stock. Simmer, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
Let cool slightly.
Puree with stick blender. Rewarm if necessary.
<< Back to recipe index